Saturday, August 23, 2014

My Earthship Home for a Brief Moment!

Woo! I have been so sick the past few days and busy before that.  My goal is to FINALLY complete my entries on New Mexico this weekend!

I decided to extend my trip by a couple of days and drive to nearby Taos to further explore the Native American customs and art of the Southwest.  The drive itself was incredible.  I felt sorry for the workshop participants that only got to see the landscape between our hotel and the airport.





I arrived in Taos WAY before check-in time for my earthship, so I decided to stop by one of the two places Destin insisted I eat when in Taos.  He has raved for years about the stuffed sopapillas at Michael's Kitchen.  Thank goodness I got there at lunch, because they are only open for lunch, except on weekends!  He was not lying, this food was unreal it was so delicious!  I was feeling fabulous after having seen the doctor, so I was ready to eat!



Luckily, the diner was centrally located to the art galleries near the plaza.  I took my time and went inside many different stores, galleries, and shops.  I talked to store owners and artists about their work and realized the art culture of Taos is much more open to contemporary work than Santa Fe was.  This is a photo of the plaza in Taos.  I like the central gathering atmosphere of the plazas in New Mexico cities.  They definitely reminded me of the piazzas I had just visited in Italy. 





Growing up in the South, there are Baptist churches everywhere.  It was neat to see the Southwest version!



I finally headed out of town toward the Earthship I rented off Airbnb.  I have been interested in them after seeing several stories about them on TV and online.  I found one built by a guy who lives most of the year in New York creating lumber from trees that fall in area parks and forests.  The house is unbelievable.  It is self-sustaining by creating it's own electricity and water.  There is a greenhouse in the front part, which was icing on the cake of coolness for me.  The lady who let me in told me about a spa that I was definitely thinking about checking out the following day!  My trip to Taos was turning out well so far.  Here are a few photos of the exterior of the Earthship.  I had easy access to sit on the roof and sit silently in the vastness of my surroundings.  It was truly magical. 






The view from the house was stunning.  The openness around me was something I had only seen in movies.  Of course there was a storm a brewin' while I was taking it all in, but watching it approach from miles away was fascinating.  The panoramas I took were really cool this trip!








While standing out there, I truly felt my connection to this experience solidify.  I felt this was the perfect time to take my fellow photo.  It had to be a selfie since, well, I was alone.



Now let's check out the INSIDE of this insanely cool home base I found for myself out in the middle of the desert...







(CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS EXISTS?!?!?!?!)

That evening I settled in and tried to figure out how to work the house.  There was the BEST storm that night and watching it from an entire wall made of windows was one of the best experiences I could have asked for in this terrain.  Something about being out there really made me feel connected to my Native American roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment