Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Day 6 Off to Assisi

Ever since reading "Taltos" by Anne Rice years ago, I have been fascinated by St. Francis.  You'd have to read the book (and trilogy) to understand, but learning tidbits about him in that made me seek out more information. He's been my favorite saint since and I was thrilled to hear we were to visit his town, his basilica, and to learn more about him through the artwork I sadly couldn't take pictures of inside the church.

The town was quaint and high atop a mountain.  The flowers were brightly colored and olive trees grew everywhere you turned.  First, the drive to the town was amazing on it's own.  A real Roman aqueduct just hanging out in the middle of nowhere.  Plus the ever changing Italian landscape was breathtaking.





The views from here were incredible.  The breeze was equally as exciting. 



This was a chalk drawing on the ground.  CHALK.


The perspective of the streets was one of my favorite parts of Assisi.  I could totally live here one day...


The basilica for St. Francis was so beautiful inside, but no photos allowed.  Our friar tour guide was very informative.




At the end of our tour, we hopped back on the bus and headed toward Florence.  Now this hotel was fancy pants!  It breathed art from the courtyard to the bathroom in your hotel room.  Simply gorgeous. Here are some photos of art JUST in our hotel.



Only shot I got of our room... The key was nothing fancy, sadly


I only got ONE photo of the crazy rooms the kids received.  I mean, they were treated like royalty! A spiral staircase in the bedroom?!


Day 7 in Florence will happen tomorrow!  Hope you are enjoying our journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment