Thursday, July 31, 2014

Onward and Forward

I actually start back to work tomorrow for the school year.  On August 1st, on a Friday, can you believe it?!?!  What I am NOT griping about is what is planned for work tomorrow.  Our technical first day back is a professional development day for everyone, so the art teachers go to our yearly meeting spot, the Birmingham Museum of Art.  I love our museum and their staff.  I helped my supervisor and dear friend Stacia Jacks with troubleshooting for the workshop.  She has come up with some really amazing projects and ideas.  While we were experimenting with encaustic, I made this bad boy.  I ended up really liking it.



So in other words, my first day back at work will be having fun, making art, and catching up with all my art teacher friends.

Oh and did I mention I am having a root canal next Wednesday afternoon?!  THE FIRST DAY BACK WITH STUDENTS?!?!  The bad part is this only solves part of the problem, even if that solves it.  I have to go back the very next day for more work.  I will whine about my dental crisis later, on to discussion about the folk art festival!

The morning of the festival I was feeling great!  The weather was amazing and so was the food and company.  We walked the few blocks it took to get to the parking lot where the shuttle buses were that everyone to the market.  I rode with Phylis (Phyl for those of you who know her through her awesome blog, http://plbrown.blogspot.com/)  She is hilarious and so fun to talk with.  We both agreed it would be impossible for everyone to stay together in the market.  There really was not meeting point, nor was there a deadline for dinner.  The day was really up to us for exploration.  Someone (I now forget who) gave great advice that starting at the top of the market was the best way to go, because the crowds generally start at the bottom).




As soon as I got up top, I decided to start on the right and work my way around.  I took as many photos as I could.  I have tons on my computer and so many more to share with my students in more detail.  Some of the booths/artists didn't want photos taken, so that is why I don't have photos of some of the most amazing things I saw.  I do have a story behind all these photos, but it would take FOREVER to explain each one, because the market truly is enormous and overwhelming.  I will explain in more detail about the things I bought, in a later entry.  Enjoy the market!






















The ambience of the market itself was something magical.  There was so much attention to detail, color, design, and cultural representation.  Every tent you went to had wonderful decorations above you.  Some even moved in giant circles.  





The photos of the trees were next to the stage where performers from all around the world shared dances, songs, music, ect. from their country.  





I thoroughly enjoyed talking to the artists in the booths.  I loved listening to their stories, sometimes even getting a chance to watch them work in person.  There were countries represented I am not so sure I'd ever heard of.  








These artists were just a tiny fraction of the ones I had the pleasure of talking with.  I have to get up early in the morning, so I shall continue my discussing my experience tomorrow.  Happy back to school to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment